Negative influence

In your opinion do music ever give out negative influence?
Do you think that the use of abusive language which has of recent picked up a trend as "cool" can actually make the youngster take it as a norm?

Should such songs be banned or censored?

I wouldn't go that far to banning or censoring songs, more, there is nothing more annoying than to listen to the radio and hearing songs with censured parts.

As for negative influences on myself I have none as I simply choose the songs I want to listen to. If you are talking in general terms sure, violent songs are certainly a bad influence as we all want a peaceful society.

In my opinion I think that abusive language in songs are totally unecessary. If an artists thinks they must use such language in their songs to be succesful then they must have ran out of ideas or they are not confident enough to release normal music. I think those kinds of songs shouldn't even be released as most kids hear and immitate.

There shouldn't be room for use of abusive languages in music, be it rap or whatever genre of music. We shouldn't forget that it's not only adults who get to listen to these music children do too. This will leave a negative impression on their minds.

I have a great example of a really popular musician right now in Portugal. He sings some relatively cool and rap music, but he does has the care of making politically correct lyrics because he knows kids listen to his music. So it's all pretty much about awareness and knowing our audiences as famous singers and bands exert a big influence over thousands and millions of people.

No, I don't think music gives negative influence even though they swear in them. I like to think that music is the best invention mankind has ever made and will ever make, and everyone has to sing whatever they like.

It's not just about swearing, that happens all the time, sometimes they have bad intentions, but fortunately those are the exceptions.

I definitely agree that music is one of the best inventions ever and the proof is that everyone loves music and there is an infinite variety of music, not to mention that's it's a billion dollar industry.

Banning wouldn't solve anything. The music is not the problem but the listeners are. Some of us pick what we want from a song and avoid the rest. We all can distinguish the good and the bad therefore we can avoid influence from music. Bad influence from music can be seen as an excuse to behave radically.

I just think people should be responsible with what they listen to such as for what they watch. I remember that back then when I was younger, the ''cause I got high'' song was making all the kids pretend they were smoking weed. It was ridiculous but the teachers caught on and told them about the dangers of drug use and such. They also got their parents called

Yeah, and now that you mention that @TheKnight, surely that exists a responsibility from the side of the people listening, educators and parents, but the artist should be responsible as well, because if someone is worshiped by millions, whatever nonsense he/she might say will have a huge impact on all those followers. So, stick to their thing, their music, but also with some responsibility.

I don't believe in artistic censorship, but I do believe there's a lot of misogyny and "F the police" and gang glorification in rap in particular. Also a lot of homophobia in Jamaican rap.

Yeah, and now that you mention that @TheKnight, surely that exists a responsibility from the side of the people listening, educators and parents, but the artist should be responsible as well, because if someone is worshiped by millions, whatever nonsense he/she might say will have a huge impact on all those followers. So, stick to their thing, their music, but also with some responsibility.
That's true but if kids are already listening to them, then it's the parent's or the radio host's fault. The parents should monitor what they watch and the radio should stop airing that kind of music. It's difficult but it's possible.

This thread is getting interesting. I know of a very popular singer who had sang a very "vulgar" song on how to *sc... a girl and he was taken to court years later for the song.

The college students, girls and boys alike used to love the song and sing it like any other.

This thread is getting interesting. I know of a very popular singer who had sang a very "vulgar" song on how to *sc... a girl and he was taken to court years later for the song.

The college students, girls and boys alike used to love the song and sing it like any other.
I think radio hosts should be sued or taken to jail for airing music even if they censor it. It's mostly their fault for airing it. I've heard some pretty bad lyrics in the radio and early when the kids are going to school. They don't censor it enough.

That's true but if kids are already listening to them, then it's the parent's or the radio host's fault. The parents should monitor what they watch and the radio should stop airing that kind of music. It's difficult but it's possible.
As a parent, I cannot control everything my kids do. More, we live in a free world, so people have the right to express themselves freely. At the same time, if I realize an artist is a negative influence, I forbid my kids to listen to it. So from the perspective of an artist, I'd say it would be a mix between common sense and good business to be a good influence.

As a parent, I cannot control everything my kids do. More, we live in a free world, so people have the right to express themselves freely. At the same time, if I realize an artist is a negative influence, I forbid my kids to listen to it. So from the perspective of an artist, I'd say it would be a mix between common sense and good business to be a good influence.
It's also about teaching your kids to make correct choices. Sure they can think for themselves but a parent is able to influence and teach a child to do the right thing while the parent isn't present. My parents taught me well and I was never badly influenced by music. Quite the opposite. I hate those kinds of music so I try to avoid following their example. It's possible.

It's not easy to teach them that with words, because they tend to follow the example and not what we say to them. So being a parent is in fact growing up because we need to be a good role model. Music is great, but we do need to select adequate music for kids.

It's not easy to teach them that with words, because they tend to follow the example and not what we say to them. So being a parent is in fact growing up because we need to be a good role model. Music is great, but we do need to select adequate music for kids.
I guess you can also introduce children to appropriate music very early on so that they could develop a taste in decent music. Some families tend to listen to classical music loudly every day which causes the children to grow up interested in classical music. That's how I was raised at least and vulgar music mostly always disgusted me.

Yeah, quite right. My biggest musical influence was my older brother, as I always listened to the songs he did, so I developed the taste for that particular alternative scene. Funny enough I still love today Abba, Scorpions and so on, but that's the vinyl influence from my parents. :)

It's hard to censor or control what people might listen to. You may prohibit certain artist to be played at home but again there is a bog chance that your kid may hear him elsewhere. So I feel, artists should be primarily responsible to what they write/sing as musicsendsa strong message to the society.