Writing songs

Discussion in 'On-Topic' started by Alexandoy, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

Did it occur to you that you can write songs? When I was younger, I always had that idea that I am good in composing songs. However, we had no resources at that time, no computer yet, not even a tape recorder and my only instrument is the guitar. And when I finally had my own tape recorder, there, I was able to write songs with gusto and I even joined songwriting contests.

2. TheKnight

TheKnight Member

Hey, me too. I used to always come up with great tunes and rhymes but never thought to write them down or record them. Sadly, age has ruined that ability as it seems.

3. kamai

kamai Member

I used to write songs as a teen but I don't get inspired as much now. I love music and singing but writing needs time. I actually have a journal full of songs I've written and looking back to them makes me want to continue.

4. tonyb

tonyb Member

When I was younger too at times when I am in very good mood I was used to singing, most of the songs were the ones I learned from others as in already sang before. Somehow with time I try to express my own feelings in songs and found out I was doing good trying to come up with my own songs.

5. biege

biege New Member

I as well did some composing back in my school days. Most of my composed songs are written for Alternative/ Folk music and we're able to play one before onstage but it was just a thing in the past. Like you guys, it's hard for motivation and inspiration to come by these days. If only I could turn back time I would compose a lot and preserve them.

6. Jason

Jason Member

Composing instrumental stuff is quite easy. You only have to fiddle around with a guitar. However, writing more lyrical stuff can be a challenge. Nonetheless, I find messing with jazz chords to be a help.

Oh yeah, as mentioned in another thread, alternate tunings open up a lot of stuff. :)

7. Back in the days I love writing poems which I think can be converted into song when added a melody. I usually write different types of poems depending on my mood. It can be about anything but normally it's about love and short stories. I haven't tried adding melody to it though as I can't play the guitar although I can play the piano but just the basics though. I still would love to do it however I never got the time because of busy schedules.

8. Jason

Jason Member

Lyrical stuff doesn't have to be massively instrumental, but the lyrics themselves are sung in notes, not chords. Therefore, a little bit of lead guitar knowledge is needed. In addition, simple guitar solos can be constructed from the vocal notes.

9. tonyb

tonyb Member

Yes it's easier to compose instrumental songs by playing with the instruments. This is not so with having to write lyrics like in singing Blue songs for example.

10. Decentlady

Decentlady Member

I have never written nor thought of writing a song. It must be different than writing a poetry as I do the later.

What are some of the principles of writing a song?

11. JimGoodman

JimGoodman New Member

Yes.
    I sаng it in publiс twiсе, аnd оnсе wаs аt а tаlеnt shоw whеrе I wоn first prizе. “Timing Is еvеrything” hеlpеd mе tо wоrk thrоugh vеry pоwеrful fееlings. I'vе hаd оthеr еxpеriеnсеs whеrе wоrds оf а pоеm оr pithy stаtеmеnt саmе frоm sоmеwhеrе оthеr thаn my соnsсiоus mind. Thаt wаs thе оnly timе I put thе wоrds tо musiс.

12. Fuzyon

Fuzyon New Member

I can compose simple riffs but never a full-fledged song, I guess I'm not as good as I think but I have no problem coming up with chord progressions. I guess I could create something interesting if I put them together.

13. kokimboka

kokimboka New Member

I like singing and at times I find myself singing songs but putting my own words instead of the original words. Back in high school I used to be in the school choir, when I got married I tried joining the church choir but I just was not able to make it because I din't have time to go for practice. I still sing when am in the house cooking, cleaning and I guess I have a nice voice. This song writing thing has been on my mind for the longest time, thanks for bringing it up, I think it's time I started putting down all the words and rhymes I come up with.who knows what the future holds for me.

14. ptahm22

ptahm22 New Member

Anyone can write a song. I composed some songs when I was in high school and was even to produce some of them at a local studio I haven't had much inspiration to do so recently but I can confirm that it's fun and anyone can do it.

15. Decentlady

Decentlady Member

You definitely are talented. I donot know the basics of writing a song other than that of a poem.

It is similar to writing a poem? What's the difference between writing a song and a poem?

16. ptahm22

ptahm22 New Member

Poems are taught in classrooms and made a part of the canon of literature, whereas songs, especially popular ones, usually are not. If song lyrics are studied in school, often it is ethnographically or anthropologically, to learn something about a culture, not as literature per se.

Jason likes this.
  17. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

DR KOKIL AGARWAL New Member

Writing a song is definitely not my cup of tea. The only reason is that I lack the basic creativity needed to write a song.

Although I have written some short poems but have never tried writing songs. I think it requires a great amount of imagination and rhyming.